WELCOME

Always dusting, always vacuuming up crumbs. Ah, the life of a mom. I have so many things on my mind and I figured why not blog! It will be honest, sometimes funny and it will be raw.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Anxiety in children

I have suffered from anxiety for most of my life.  Everyone just told you to "get over it" - "shit happens" - "stop being a baby" etc.  No coddling.   

Then I had a nervous breakdown at 30 and that changed my life.  It shaped the way I parent my kids.  The divorce really changed my parenting.  Instead of being a hard ass mom, I find myself looking deeper into the issues.  Why are they acting out?  What has them stressed?  The emotions run high most days in our house.  I try to keep a stress free environment, but sometimes I can't.

Last night my kids were going to sleep at my friend's house.  I needed her to watch them because I had to get up and be somewhere an hour away, by 9am.  R & L were excited for days!  She has kids and my boys love to play with them!  Time came to get ready to leave and L has a breakdown.  My usually easy-going child is now bawling his eyes out.  At first I thought it was because he wanted to stay home to play xBox360.  Tried to talk with him.  He doesn't want me to leave him there.  He thinks I'm not coming back.  He says to me "what if you die?"  He was a wreck.  Abandonment by a parent takes a toll on kids, whether you see it or not.  You may think your kids are dealing with things well and then, BAM!  Until it was all said and done, L, R & I were crying.  

The boys stayed at my friends house and were fine.  I stayed and watched a movie with her so the boys knew I wasn't abandoning them or going out having a good time.  I actually got done earlier than expected and when I went to pick them up, they didn't want to leave!  

Parenting can be stressful.  Single parenting sucks!  Put your kids first.  Think about what your selfish actions will do to your child.  

~Chel

No comments:

Post a Comment